Friday, November 11, 2011

Un Dia Hermosa!

Finally, after hours of torrential downpour, the clouds have lifted and the sun is peeking out its luminous, vibrant smile. I have awoken, fully recharged and rested from my first week at The Emafini Township School. The first three days of school have truly changed me as a person and as an educator. Throughout the week, I have learned a multitude about myself and education as a whole. While working with these children, I have realized how much they truly value their education. Realizing that it is their ticket to advancing themselves, each child comes into class each morning, enthusiastic and eager to learn. These children embody vigor and passion in whatever they do. Their enthusiasm is contagious and it is impossible to leave the classroom without a smile.

This zeal is inspiring and has made me realize several things. For one, how lucky we are in the United States to have the access to a proper education. Many in the United States take for granted the educational opportunities that we are afforded in the U.S. Rather than realize how important an education is to aggrandize ones status, many in the U.S. view it as an arduous and often mundane task. Here it is completely different. It is really invigorating, to see the students who love to learn!

For two, I have learned a more minimalistic approach to teaching and how to instruct using limited resources. With the absense of Computers, Mimio's and other technologies that facilitate instruction, I have rely more on creativity and working on implementing lessons with the limited resources that we have. I have been able to adapt my teaching style, and have learned to think outside the box more.

These students vibrancy and passion for education is inspiring and I cannot believe how much this experience has changed me as both an educator and a person already. I can only imagine how my views on pedagogy and life in general will evolve over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment